Homemade Chicken & Wild Rice Dog Biscuits
Dogs are part of the family too, so why not treat them to these special homemade chicken & wild rice biscuits
I’ve learned since then is that dogs are truly part of your family and since I like to create family friendly meals, I thought it was about time I made something special for our four legged “children”. I decided to go with these Chicken & Wild Rice Biscuits since the food they eat is also chicken and wild rice. I didn’t want to give them ingredients they were unfamiliar with; especially the puppy.
These Chicken & Wild Rice Dog Biscuits were so easy to make and are prepared with natural ingredients like chicken, wild rice, flour, salt, chicken broth and eggs.
- 6 oz . Boneless Chicken Breast, boiled or grilled; cooled
- 1/2 c . Cooked Wild Rice; cooled
- 1/2 c . Chicken Stock
- 2 1/2 c . All Purpose Flour, you can substitute wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp . Salt
- 1 Egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine chicken, rice and chicken stock in a mini food processor or blender and pulse until a paste forms.
Add the flour, salt, egg and chicken paste into a bowl and mix well.
Sprinkle a little flour on a flat surface and knead dough until it’s no longer sticky; then roll it out with a rolling pin about 1/2-inch thick.
Cut out shapes and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Mine yielded 32 biscuits using a 3.5″ cookie cutter.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until light brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
These biscuits can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months. Allow to defrost completely (10-20 minutes) before serving.
Here is what you have to do:
- Start off by boiling a piece of boneless chicken breast and making wild rice; then allowed them to cool. You can do this a day ahead and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Puree the chicken and rice with some chicken stock in a mini food processor or blender
- Add flour, salt, egg and pureed chicken and rice to a bowl and mix well; then roll out the dough on a lightly floured board until 1/2-inch thick.
- I purchased these dog bone cookie cutters from Amazon for about $5 (set of 3), but you can use any cookie cutter or glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Once you cut out the shapes, bake for about 30 minutes; then allow to harden. You can store these in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months (allow 10-20 minutes for them to defrost before serving).
I hope your furry friends like these Chicken & Wild Rice Dog Biscuits as much as ours did.